Monday 28 February 2011

Out of the frying pan and into...

So, this was it. Almost 6 weeks of being too ill to work and now here was my re-entry into the very real world. It might have been drinking wine yesterday and remaining to my incapacidad schedule but had little sleep. Though, for a Monday, that's usual. Too much partying over the weekend. Going to bed late followed by a lie in and a few cheeky ones on Sunday. Topped off with having Sunday night nagging insomnia over my Monday to do list.

I heard my alarm and knew that snooze wasn't an option. It was a command. I threw myself into my morning routine with minimal fannying around. Besides, I had an appointment for counselling at 9am. I needed coffee so that I could express thoughts and fears at least coherently so that my counsellor could be supportive. Actually, it was a good session and yes, I'm getting a lot better at expressing how I feel and it's helping even if it is just having another person who won't get bored and fed up and will leave their issues out of it. And I don't get the guilt about blathering on about myself for an hour. Surely, that's the point?

It was really like I'd never been away from the overcrowded bus, my ability to find a seat and the fear that the drover wouldn't stop at the Anthropology Museum. Same old, same old but refreshingly the same. Well, I'd only been out of action for nearly 6 weeks.

I sneaked into work..no grand entrance for me. Secretly, I'm quite a shy and modest person who hates all the attention and then broached the task I was dreading all along...work emails. All 444 of them. Thankfully, I had my ruthless head on that probably 75% were irrelevant and enjoyed some over zelaous deleting. What fun. I discovered that there were some priorities and action points and not hundreds. Great.

Colleagues kept on dropping by to say 'hello and welcome back'. I'm not sure how many really knew why I disappeared for 6 weeks. I suspect all knew but most were happy to see me back. I was also pretty open that I was exhausted at erm...12 noon.

The day passed and I think I achieved a lot. I hope. I managed 7 hours work though now I'm shattered. I just hope that this good day hasn't set a precedence that I'm ready for a full on workload or I'm going to suffer tomorrow. No setbacks as yet mind you.

As I suspected, my comeback after a 5 and half week hiatus was far more stressful than I speculated. But that's my character. I am the sort of person who stares at the phone for hours before making a call in case the reciever hangs up especially with men. How unfeminist of me.

All I can say is that I'm totally knackered. I hope there will be no insomnia tonight but a good long sleep for a focus group tomorrow. Yes, I'm really (kind of) back at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment