Tuesday 8 February 2011

One small step for humankind and one large step for....

Wow..today was an exciting day. Relatively speaking of course. Usually, my exciting days consist of far far more  but since the operation, I've learnt to lower my expectations a lot.

I've began to insist on making my own breakfast. You know, little by little and I'm way too untrusting of others with coffee. It just wouldn't taste right.

I was expecting a visit from Keri (the other Senior Teacher) who is on parental leave. Now, you may be wondering how I cope with women and kids. I just do. I've found that it doesn't bother me too much at all. Since then, I keep on discovering more and more people are pregnant and really I am happy for them.

Now the good thing about being visited by a parent, is that they can cook large quantities of food. I'm assuming that these things are second nature to them. And yes, she had well and truly excelled herself. There was enough to feed a small army, nevermind a small family and certainly more than enough to feed a small person with a small appetite. All was vegan too. Most seem to worry about preparing vegan food but really it's simple - just leave out the animal products.

More excitement followed..I went for a coffee to a little cafe 5 minutes away. Again, small small steps but for me it was an achievement. And stayed focussed on the conversation. I had another two visitors and managed to go to the cash machine. Wow..it was all a bit too much here and soon found myself dozing off for a while.

Now, this morning before my flurry of visitors, I knew that there was an event going on in the park with a straight edge musician known as xTrue Naturex. I have mixed feelings about the straight edge movement - being a politically minded vegan who smokes, drinks and has been known to take drugs. Though right now, I was living a straight edge lifestyle by default. I emailed Roberto in the morning stating that I think I could do it. Also, the organiser was a very good friend of his - a vegan, anarchist, straight edge feminist and someone who I had got to know and would very much like to see again.

Roberto saw my mail and turned up my flat while I was having my post exciting morning nap. He suggested that we could go as long as I was ready for it. I did wonder as I had problems following his first five minutes of conversation and actually said something was great when it was in reality some bad news. It was good to share food (well there is nothing worse than wasting it) and then off we went.

I felt weird being outside. Some cabin fever had definitely set in. Lots of people and noise and I was feeling really sensitive to it. But I carried on along with apologising for being slow. I decided that taking a taxi would be rather traumatic so we took the metrobus.

We arrived and walked around a bit searching for the concert. I would say it was really pleasant to be outside  and soon got over some slight agoraphobic feelings. We spied some alternative youth and Julieta. Yes, it was really nice to catch up and talk and almost feel like a normal person again.

My day had finished...some tiredness had kicked in. I'm not sure if I did the right thing or not but if it makes me feel good then so what?

Afterwards, I watched Black Swan on pirate DVD of course. I loved it. Deliciously dark, psychological, and no Hollywood ending. What a great way to end my relatively exciting and adventurous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment