Wednesday 16 February 2011

Damn Red Tape

I have made reference a few times to IMSS and getting an incapacidad so that I can take sufficient time off work. And yes, I can safely say it actually can make a person sicker. This is not meant to be Mexico bashing. That's not my intention.

So, my 30 days sick leave is due to end. I'm still not 100% with periodic dizzy spells, fatigue, stomach cramps and the rest. The doctor for the home visits was actually reasonable and commented that 6 weeks would be realistic not four. For once, I agreed.

Today was incapacity renewal day. My plans were of a more chilled nature. Keri invited me to her flat to lounge on the roof. read and have a change of scene. Also, I needed to give my cleaner some space to sort out my very very messy flat. We ended up spending the best part of the day in IMSS arguing with doctors that I indeed not ready to return to work.

The first visit was to get a signature for a cheque. Not such a pain but pretty annoying that he forgot to sign my incapacidad. so Keri and I had to return via picking up her baby daughter from the nursery. We returned to get the signature and then I noticed that there was a very short queue for doctors so thought about killing two birds with one stone and visiting the doctor there and then. No more home visits etc..The usual doctor was on holiday so there was a grim faced man and I just knew there would be some bad outcome.

Keri did all the talking and explained the situation. The doctor said that 'well she can walk'. He prodded my stomach and hurt me. My extension was refused. Keri began arguing depression and lack of energy. He said then I need to see the IMSS psychologist which would determine depression as a result of the operation. What a load of shite. It's more that I'm not completely healed and a bit more time off would benefit a lot.

We visited the other boss and faced the same response. No incapacidad. Arseholes. What to do?

I phoned my manager and she was more than OK and agreed that the whole thing was ludicrous and I shouldn't return to work before time.

So, yes, they are in between days. Not actually sick but can't face work and wouldn't be able to deliver. It was really Keri and I against the system and I was left feeling like a shirker depsite Keri reassurances it was a bad doctor.

It seems far more hassle to be off work than in work so am wondering would it be good to return?

1 comment:

  1. Great Site. Thanks! Heres a true story of mine in return.

    I BROKE THE TABOO WITH A TATTOO

    There was a time when I felt like (my) death was close to me. I ignored the eery feelings for awhile, chocking them up to pessimism, but eventually I faced the strengthening force, first by admitting to my self that it existed. Left Eye got this far, but recognizing spirits isn't rocket science for god's sake. You have to fight shit like this, not freeze like a deer caught in the headlights!

    I FOUGHT MY TABOO WITH A TATTOO.

    It was 1986 and I was in Davenport, Iowa, when I finally decided to face the Reaper before he faced me. Since the Reaper has no face, I'm speaking figuratively.

    I was sitting on a bar stool when a fellow came in asking if anyone wanted to get a tattoo. We chatted, and before too long I was the customer that he was looking for. We left the bar and went to a little garage space that he tattooed out of. The scene was totally unprofessional, as far as tattoo shops go, but since I was a carny (carnival guy) it wasn't anything new to me. I stopped the artist from apologizing for the place and we got down to the business of picking something out to tattoo on me.

    There wasn't a lot to choose from, no walls of colorful flash or volumes of designs just a single, thinly filled, loose leaf binder. Having never wanted a skull tattoo, I surprised myself by selecting one with a black rose between it's teeth. "That's the Black Rose Of Death tattoo," the needler told me. "Perfect," I proclaimed! "It's just what I need to fight the reaper. Put it on my left arm where I can keep my eye on him.¨

    I believe that the left represents the spiritual side and the right represents the physical side, so my tattoos are placed accordingly. One month later, in Chicago, I was stabbed (in the heart and stomach) to death. The doctor that saved me, said that I have a new birthday and... I still have that tattoo, too.

    ReplyDelete