Saturday 5 February 2011

Help! Bleeding alert!

And I was doing so well...minimal movement, resting, wearing ugly surgical stockings, sleeping loads and not getting stressed.

Simply, I overlooked a couple of points - the food and the protein factor.

It all went wrong on Saturday morning. I was having a lovely morning while Anna was teaching privately. I was contemplating getting up nice and slowly, write a bit and chill. And then I went to the toilet. Things felt a bit strange inside.

There was a lot of blood and by that I mean..a lot. All over the toilet and leaking around the bathroom. The weird thing was that there was no pain. Nothing at all.

So there I was...bleeding to death and not entirely sure what to do. More to the point, I was worried that I was destroying Anna's flat with blood stains. Now, a few things happened at the same time.

1. Colleague buzzed the intercom - he wanted to visit me. Now this teacher and I have a peculiar relationship with accusations of bullying and victimisation. To be honest, he's self centred and manipulative at times so was thinking how to handle the visit. Well, I didn't need to...spurting blood seemed a good enough reason to turn away a visit though how to make this friend not feel vicitimised was the real challenge.

2. Anna phoned..thank fuck. Her private student cancelled. She wanted to know if I needed anything from Soriana supermarket. I just asked her to come back as there was a lot of blood from nowhere.

3. Luis (the porter) came round though not entirely sure why. He saw the blood and immediately knew I needed help.

So, I waited for Anna. Sanitary towel after sanitary towel and still being soaked with blood. I googled 'heavy bleeding after hysterectomy' and had the same answer. 'Immediate Hospitalisation'. I was also concerned about Anna's flat so set on some damage limitations. Quite pathetic but at least it soaked something up. I continued to bleed and cried a but more out of frustration and confusion.

Anna came back and immediately phoned Dr. Quiroz and of course he said 'get straight to hospital'. She was soon followed by Vicky who wanted to help. We called a taxi. The whole process took forever (or so it seems) and I was getting weaker and weaker.

The taxi arrived and Anna with her practical head, got some binliners so I wouldn't bleed all over the taxi. Vicky got Luis to help me down the stairs which was an impossibility right now. I needed to be carried. Of course, I asked about my weight and was worried I'd be too heavy. But no..I weighed less than his children.

Maybe it was the lack of blood but it was all slow motion. I was kind of slipping away (to cite a cliche) and now I know what this means. All I do remember was telling Anna, 'but I was so good'.

Andrew was there waiting for us and then it was in the treatment room. Andrew joined me which was great and a surprise. More tests and more fingers and more questions. It looked like I was being admitted again.

The culprit was protein or lack of...so I rambled on about please don't let me eat meat. That was my main fear and really the world was getting more and more faded. Doctor Quiroz came in with a doctor with a good level of English and with the option of surgery. So it was not looking rosy at all and in fact pretty damn scary. I began to wonder what would knock me out first. Excessive blood loss or the anesthetic.

All the same crew were there. Some weird bandaging of my legs. I was out in a nanosecond.

The operation lasted marginally longer. In fact, I don't think they even bothered but they did. My first post op utterance was 'are you sure you've done it?'

No comments:

Post a Comment