Thursday 3 February 2011

Blissful times...Anna's half way house

What does someone do when
1 They are out of the hospital
2. Not ready to be in the flat alone
3. Things could go drastically wrong

Move into Anna's for a few days, that's what.

Usually, I'm fiercely independent and am happy with my own space and my own company. This time, the thought of returning to my place was quite daunting. The positive things about living in Anna's place are numerous like she spends a lot of time at work and is lovely company in the evenings. She smokes, has lovely cats and a great balcony and cable TV too.

Now, I panicked about food as I'm not supposed to cook anything for a couple of weeks. Not that it mattered anyway. My appetite was minuscule and I'm not a huge eater at the best of times. Anna's one of those people who always has a solution and thought of the porter of her building's wife. She's become pretty good friends with them (she's one of the best relationship builders I know) and I was convinced when she told me that they were good people and very trustworthy. And more to the point, unobtrusive and not a busybody.

After collecting the very few post hysterectomy clothes I could wear, Zoe and I took a taxi to Anna's place which was knackering and wandered up three flights of stairs. This is one the hysterectomy 'mustn't do' list but really, most of my friends' buildings don't have lifts and I'm shit scared of them anyway.

I perceived this like a halfway house. Not quite ready to go back to society as yet and needed a degree of independence. I also met Vicky (the porter's wife) and despite the language barrier, she's a lovely woman with an inherent gentleness about her. Her responsibilities were simple and straightfoward. Be there at 7am (yikes!) to rebandage the bandage and prepare breakfast and return to cook some food for lunch the next day.

Now 7am is not the best time for me. I'm much more of a night owl and not so coherent in the mornings. Yet, in a funny sort of way, it gave the day some structure and a reason to get up. Basically, I'm terrible at switching off and doing nothing so appreciated an early morning call. Vicky was sympathetic too as she had two Caesarians so was insistent on rest. That's a new discovery I made about Mexico that there seemed to be a disproportionate number of Caesarian births. I was always afraid to ask but at least it means that a lot of women understand my situation and know that having your abdomen cut open needs time and rest. And the reason for all these C-sections is purely financial. A Caesarian can be timed perfectly, natural childbirth can't.

I noticed another change. My emotional state was far calmer. I was much less edgy and anxious. Before I was fighting and now I'v come to terms with the fact. I am sick and I need time to rest. And there's nothing wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment