Tuesday 8 February 2011

Homeward bound...or not

Tuesday morning and I was in good spirits. Really good spirits and better than usual. Yes, Fish was coming home. Back to my flat, my things and hopefully more of a sense of normality.

I had my appointment with Doctor Quiroz and the other doctor (the one who spoke English) and all seemed well. I apologised for being a terrible patient and promised to stick with the new protein enhanced diet or at least eat as I did before. Then Zoe came as promised to help me get out of the place. I was really happy that my manager gave her the morning off and I agree that for single people, then they do need someone to help with these things. Why don't companies and organisations provide 'Friend Leave'? What a great idea that would be!

Naturally, there was a catch. I couldn't leave until there was proof of payment. The BUPA folks in the UK were being slightly slack and not confirming something or another. Then, it had to go through Miami as that's the main contact for Spanish speaking America. Confusing, yes. But at least, no one had to come in with their visa card as an emergency payment.

We waited and waited and believe me, I really appreciated the company. I would've lost it again. We did manage to grab a coffee and of course persuade the nurses to let me go out for a cigarette. Well, I was discharged. And the freedom..sweet freedom.

As always, patients need to pay a pretty hefty deposit for the stay in hospital of 15,000 peso (750 pounds). We were all ready to get it but irritatingly so...no money on the premises. At least I'd spent very little so money wasn't an issue.

Zoe picked up my supply of protein shakes and got a taxi for us. Wham. I was hit by a wave of exhaustion. Really, this morning had been perhaps a bit too much for me. However, there was no way we could've avoided it.

The taxi pulled up outside my flat and then I spied the two nurses. Yes, it was really happening hut I was way too shattered to have any strong feelings for or against.

I made a beeline for my couch. Zoe began to speak to the nurses in Spanish. I got all enclosed and a bit spun out by the activity surrounding me. Sleep seemed a good solution. And there was yet another issue. No hot water and no electricity. Did I really want to be back home. Funnily enough I did.

I began to wonder how to assimilate the nurses - Tere and Maria Luisa into my life. I needed to unpack my things and have some food. Now, this may seem simple but bear in mind, I was feeling really fuggy and giving instructions in another language. It shattered me out. One of them prepared a salad and perhaps the worst thing I could eat but at least she tried.

It got late and really I felt that Terre had fulfilled her duties. She insisted on staying but with the help of Eduardo, we dissuaded her (or more I did). The point was that I wanted to be independent and also I was kind of looking forward to my first night alone in a long long while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment