Saturday 5 February 2011

Bureaucracy and other inconveniences

Being long term sick is no easy business especially with papers to sort out to prove that I am indeed not fit to work and am entitled to a lengthy period of absence.

I am not going to rant about Mexico and it's system. Each country has it's own foibles and ways. I'm fine with it but it doesn't mean to say I like it. As always, with public spending, I guess they have to make sure the money is spent properly.

From an outside perspective and please forgive my misinterpretation here, the Mexican system is all about being guilty until being proved innocent. Or being well until being proved unhealthy. A doctor needs to see the patient first and then write a sick note for a while which needs to go to work and then the sick person gets paid. Muy facil, no?

Actually not. Like most bureaucracies, there are a few complications. Now, what most people do is queue in a skanky government office for ages and ages until a doctor can see them. This doesn't bother me. I am no stranger to musty government offices and waiting for a while with other cultural interpretations of what is a queue. The point is that I'm not well enough to really be outside in a non stressful situation. So a home visit is a must.

Now, Anna took on the IMSS responsibility. Brave girl. It seems to be a universal norm that dealing with government offices are exasperating and frustrating with no one answering the phone; rude and indifferent staff and a rather flexible view of what they can or can't do. Believe me, (although a private company) I had my fill of this dealing with British Airways over my suitcase.

Obviously, they behaved in this predictable way. Anna apparently got angry and eventually we got some clarity. Home visit after 8pm.

Zoe and I took a taxi to my flat which was in itself still difficult and exhausting. We picked up more of my things and then waited with an episode of Skins. My favourite series about British teens going wild. As Sod's law would have it, the doctor arrives.

Now this was a pleasant surprise...she was a woman! Since my diagnosis, I've had a series of men determining my reproductive future which irked my feminist principles. She really didn't examine me and just was there to answer questions about how I was feeling. She was lovely especially for one who spends the whole day writing sick notes and dealing with irate people.

But again, nothing is simple. The doctor knows that hysterectomies require at least 4 weeks off work and maybe even 6. However, she can't issue a sick note for that period of time. Very annoying but at least it will be all home visits.

I'm wondering does all this bureaucracy hinder a healing process by making things slower and more stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment