Friday 18 February 2011

I've been tired

Today was going to be the day to find out how things are and if indeed I'm recovering. Yes, I was going back to visit my old friend Doctor Quiroz to discuss post op things like:

1. Have my ovaries died a death? According to the internet, I'm supposed to feel like I'm ovulating with sore tits and bad moods. So far, nada. Not that I'm really missing it, but I don't fancy menopause adding to my problems. Plus, my libido has disappeared along with my uterus.

2. When do I return to work? the million dollar question

3. Can I lift and how much? I think friends are getting sick of the supermarket and market run. Besides, I like doing it at my pace and being vegan, check all the labels for animal products.

4. When can I resume sexual activity? Another million dollar question. It's not that I get it on a regular basis but you never know and I need to plan my answer carefully if and when it happens

5. Why am I feeling depressed? Well...I can ask that question anytime

6. When can I travel? Right now, going to chill somewhere sounds great but could I handle a bus journey. Walking round the block is hard work right now.

7. Why I am losing weight? I thought I'd balloon and be all neurotic about this...but no, getting thinner and thinner.

8. Why is my stomach still senstive and what's with these funny little cramps? I guess the answer's obvious..erm..you've had a hysterectomy.

9. Why can't I sleep? A question I could ask anytime but now I've got the full attention of a doctor.

10. Can you persuade IMSS or otherwise I'm still not well?


I went along with Charlotte and noted that my mood and energy levels were deteriorating rapidly. Was the whole trip a trigger of a less unpleasant period or was it symptomatic that there are really good days and today was going to be a not so good one?

Thankfully, I got the appointment right so a nice little buzz for my Spanish. It was all too familiar and I was happy to see the doctor again. And we even attempted English so if I've done something good, then I've helped him a bit with other languages. I went through my questions and most importantly, he agreed to a longer period off work. But as one friend puts it..'IMSS doctors are good if you need the money. Private doctors are good if you need the time off'. How very true.

I asked the doctor my questions and then it was off for the examination. I know the drill now. Strip off, ugly robe and legs open wide. No dignity spared and really my inhibitions which were quite low before have gone. A quick internal and all is healing well. I'm almost physically back down there. But there is the current problem of being very anaemic and losing more weight. God, this is irritating. I really didn't want to be an anaemic vegan. It's so, so..well stereotypical. And such a poor advertisment. I've only been anaemic once in my life when I was 12 with a prolonged and heavy period (so perhaps a precurser of what is to come..) and then I ate meat and quite a lot of it. Then was subject to being force fed liver by my mum. Thankfully, this is not the case now.

I got my answers too...and here they are in summary below.

1. My ovaries are alive and well and should kick into action in a month or two. No period of course.

2. 10 more days off! I'm actually quite happy about that especially as I feel awful right now.

3. I can lift my handbag or my EZLN bag but nothing heavier. Looks like still need the supermarket support then.

4. I'm healing so I can have sex again. Though I'm confused if it's now or in a month. Well, it's not as if it's all the time and it will hurt him more due to the stitching and dressings inside of me. Feminist revenge? Yay!

5. The depression is normal and I'm dealing with it

6. I can travel! That makes me happy but of course I need some help with my backpack

7. Shite..I'm getting thinner and down to 40 kgs. The doctor still isn't convinced I eat.

8. Poorly stomach...minor symptoms and all hysterectomy related. Nothing much to worry about.

9. Insomnia...offered to get me some sleeping pills though decided against it

10. Letter for IMSS - no problem at all. I hate to say it but really the private sector for these things is actually quite pleasant.

Unlike yesterday, my short trip to the doctor's was enough. I was getting stroppy and tired so needed to retreat back to the couch. The most I plan to do right now is a little bit of blogging, some chatting and researching how to boost my flagging iron levles. Apart from being a crappy vegan, this anaemia sucks. I have found a really helpful list iron in a vegan diet and have noted down the foods I like. I'll load up and see what happens along with lots of iron supplements.

Oh yes..doesn't red wine contain iron too? So all is not so tragic afterall

No comments:

Post a Comment