Tuesday 15 February 2011

Hysterectomy blogs I like..

I'm in list making mode like I was yesterday with Valentine's songs. I've also been reading other blogs and there's some really good stuff out there. Not tales of warm family life and husbands but some serious analysis about the operation, the issues and the conflicts. I admire the frankness of all of them with the consistent them that they have done the right thing. One is funny as well and I say hats off to anyone who can make light of a dark situation.

I've complied a list of three that I like and if you're reading this blog for support purposes, I recommend you take a look at these posts.

Flying Confessions

Lorraine addresses the personal and political side of a hysterectomy where it seems that our organs are controlled by a male medical establishment. Such thoughts have been on my mind since my operation and whether I was really given a choice and the chance to explore alternatives. For me, I am in a country where gender equality (although a lot better than most) has some way to go, but my feeling is that the tumor had become unmanageable. I didn't have pains every month but surely it's not healthy to have something useless the size of an orange?

The post addresses that in the past, a hysterectomy was there to curtail sexual freedom and was akin to a castration. This view has gathered some momentum amongst feminists about male control over femaleness and sexuality and has resulted in hostility from them. I am unequivocally a feminist however, the procedure was medical and dealt with a problem. I am not defined by my womb. My gender and political identity is something which goes beyond this. I heard that Lorraine received hate mail and for that, I was angry. A hysterectomy is not an easy procedure to face and I would hope that one would recieve support from a sisterhood.

She addresses the issue of sex and yes, she feels it gets better. In fact, the operation enhanced her sexual pleasure and I hope her frankness will support other women with the same fears. It has certainly given me some hope.

You can also find the post here
Blogging my Hysterectomy

Hysterics: Are Hysterectomies Too Common

There are other posts which address doctors overeagerness to perform hysterectomies when for the most part they are not necessary as above. This is also set within a political context of ethnicity and how they are more likely to be performed on non white women with some underlying agenda of eugenics (as in the past). Naturally, I wonder about these arguments and yes, a lot of them ring true. Like most surgeries, there are questions of the necessity of it and also does it really help address the issues or effectively solve a health problem. Overriding all of this is the issue of cost. I am trying to read these ariticles though they do make me slightly more neurotic and then leave me pondering for hours 'if I did the right thing..but whatever. It's too late now. Anyway, this article is well argued and I like the fact it's part of an alternative news website so worth promoting.

Does this hysterectomy make me look fat?
I discovered this by accident while I was browsing around the facebook page for the Hysterectomy Association. It's written by a 30 year old woman who after her hysterectomy went through menopause. I love it. It's funny and to the point. She uses humour about the situations she's in and it definitely raised a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment