Saturday 19 February 2011

In between days..

This anaemia and post hysterectomy recovery is a bit of a bugger. One minute I'm back to me (whoever that is) and then the slug which can only move as far as the couch. It's making plans for the weekend, the day or even the next day a little bit challenging to say the least.

Last night, I crashed on the couch and even had a snooze. I forgot all ideas about making any kind of plans for the evening. Charlotte returned with a perceieved disastrous haircut which made her look like a gay man though I quite liked it. It seems that the only remedy for a bad hairdresser's experience is alcohol so off she went to buy wine and I did a cooking experiment, vegan mac and cheese, apparently the best ever. I needed to see what the score was and indeed if it was despite mac and cheese being a US concept. Actually, it was lovely. Charlotte liked it too and I'm happy to one who can veganise things.

We were talking, eating and drinking though I was still fuzzy and my phone rang. Andrew. Either he needed a drink ( a queer beer) or there was some crisis bubbling. It was a crisis. Him and his BF had broken up and he needed to meet up. Really, I was shattered and going to Zona Rosa for one was against my better judgement but he needed a friend and he's been ever so supportive with me. We met and he talked. He welcomed the opportunity to let off steam and relax. I was happy to be there and support him. He tried to persuade me to go to Living but that would've been way too ambitious.

I slept and slept and slept and woke up feeling not too bad. In fact quite good and ready to do something. Having Charlotte around helped but also it meant that I couldn't slob out comfortably. Maybe, it's a good thing to have someone around to stop me retreating into myself?

She wanted to see El Chopo Market and I was quite keen to get back to one of my favourite places in the city. It's an alternative market for all subcultures and one of my favourite people watching spots. Of course, it's of a similiar ilk to Camden Market, Afflecks Palace and Amerika Mura but with different ethnic groups. The clothing remains more or less the same but it's refreshing to be surrounded with others with piercings and tattoos. Now, I remembered exactly why I was reluctant to go to El Chopo. It's crowded and without sounding anti Mexican here, as a sweeping generalisation, a lot of people lack spatial awareness. They tend to bump into others or just stop randomly. Really annoying at the best of times. Today, I noticed it more than usual and also I was getting irritable with others. I put it down to exhaustion and anaemia and again..a small thing can be overdoing it.

I returned home and was ready to rest. Charlotte took some photos for her project of me which were lovely but I was dropping off and it showed. As always, I wanted to retreat into myself. Was a good idea to keep on this thought or feeling? Or maybe I need it right now. There was also another interesting idea from Charlotte relating to adoption. Adoptees apologise a lot for their own existence. They hate to be an imposition and ask for help. Once more, things fell into place. In some ways, I'm happy I can blame this on an incident of which I had no control.

For a recovering person, I have options for a night out. Not bad going really. The straight edge musician has a concert tonight. I really wouldn't mind going but issues like distance and lots of people are pretty daunting right now. I know that one friend might be there. But then again. I like to go to these events to meet people and right now, I don't have the energy to talk to good friends. Zoe's called and has invited me round for dinner. Right now to play safe seem the better option both physically and emotionally. Charlotte is at the airport trying to change her ticket. Once more, decision making is hard to do and right now is even more challenging with this exhaustion.

Fingers crossed that normal serivce will be resumed soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment