Tuesday 8 February 2011

A very 'meh' day

It really couldn't get much better or even worse. I woke up to my flat and yes, that did feel good. However one late nurse, no cooker and no hot water certainly didn't elevate my mood or energy levels. I called my support group and remarked that Maria Luisa was late just as she walked in the door with a huge bag of vegetables. Then Terre came along to tick her off and stay.

I really hope I don't sound ungrateful here but I felt pretty intruded and invaded. I just wanted to slob out in my pajamas and feel miserable and skanky. Standing up was a real issue and all I wanted to do was chat to friends online and feel sorry for myself.

With some intervention, Terre left and I was deciding how to manage the other nurse which took a great deal of mental energy. First things first, was that I needed to address grading language. Obviously, I needed to speak Spanish and I don't have a problem with that. What was frustrating is that they were speaking quickly and saying too much. I needed to emphasise slowness and simplicity.

I still was without a cooker so needed to sort that out quickly and food. I noted that Maria Luisa was attempting to boil up a plate of vegetables and again without sounding ungrateful, I doubted how much this would encourage my meager appetite and was it following the high protein regime to keep the stitches intact. The unshowering didn't bother me so much. In fact, it was pretty liberating to feel skanky and well..like a real ill person.

My landlady came to sort out the electricity. I got active about food. The nurse returned from a nearby restaurant with a plate of cold, boiled vegetables. The good news is that my landlady must have had magic fingers as somehow by magic, the flat came to life again...phew. And yes, I really tried but simply couldn't face or stomach the vegetables. More reason to intervene about the food situation and somehow I got the message across that I can attempt to explain in my basic Spanish what I want and certainly no boiled vegetables.

At around 4pm, all looked set in my flat. It seemed unnecessary to have another body in my flat. Maria Luisa sloped off, I prepared a tofu scramble, survived and then popped out to buy cigarettes in my pajamas. There is one lesson this operation has taught me. Dignity always comes second.

Oh yes..my manager wanted to visit me. Actually, it was quite pleasant and thankfully as I was wearing my bedclothes and looking disheveled and unshowered, it was quite a convincing act of a very ill person. Hopefully, there will be nothing like any work emails coming for the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment