Thursday 27 January 2011

To breed or not...

One of the most annoying questions implied or not was about the kids issue. This assumed that I wanted them which really I never did. Of course, I did occasionally think that I've lost that option but if it was an option that I never took, then was it really an option. If I really wanted a child (partnered, married or not), I have enough biological knowledge to create one. No, I didn't.

I like the implicit way people expressed concern about my tumours and at the time, pending hysterectomy. 'You are so young!' some would exclaim meaning that I haven't gone through menopause so can still reproduce or at least have that potential. What happens if I never wanted that potential in the first place? What would be my other options? Magic the tumour away until menopause. Find a doctor who has some amazing new treatment which will somehow kill the tumour and resurrect my rather fucked womb. Or suffer, suffer, suffer until I'm in my mid to late 40's and hold on for some non invasive treatment which doesn't involve removing an organ and the ability to procreate.

As far as I can see, there were no options for a problem which could progressively get really serious along with some dangerous implications for my health and wellbeing.

Some have asked about adoption. Maybe in the future, this could be an option and it's always good to have one. I am adopted myself and know that this has many positive sides.

But..the bottom line is that I love my life child free. Before I knew I was infertile, I often described myself as 'childfree by choice' and will continue to do so post hysterectomy life. I don't even like children so why fulfil a role and an expectation to be a mother for something I'm not going to even enjoy.

For those of you who still pity me for not ever having children, believe me, there are far more worthier causes in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment