Thursday 27 January 2011

Saturday night = Party time

A post about a party does seem a trifle incongruous on a blog about recovering from a hysterectomy. However, that's what happened on the night I came out of hospital. That's what I usually do on a Saturday afternoon and why break a habit of a lifetime?

I began to indulge early on by allowing myself the first cigarette in three days. Yes, I know the arguments but can I have just one vice for the next month or so? I'm vegan and eat all the right things. I doubt very much I'll drink alcohol and sex is clearly out of the question. Slight headrush but I was happy to be reunited with my old friend.

I was moving to Andrew and Debbie's for a couple of days as I'm not quite ready to live by myself as yet. A pity but I know my limitations.

I arrive and straight away make a beeline for my new home - the sofa bed. I need to lie down. Meltdowns, discharged, one flat, another flat, stairs, drives - it's all been far too hectic for one day. Then we realise I left soya milk and margarine so cheap that it doesn't contain dairy at my friend's flat. Having milk is not an option for me. Also, dairy is not recommended for a post hysterectomy diet. Great! One to silence the vegan sceptics.

The wine and conversation was flowing freely. I was slightly out of it. Not because I need alcohol to have a good time though it certainly helps, but my mind was full of operations and besides I was way too tired to talk. It felt like the scene in The L Word - season 3 where Dana (after a mastectomy) has a party in her honour yet she is way too tired and ill to be the life and soul despite being the centre of attention. Nobody minded and more to the point, everyone understood. It was lovely to see everyone too.

We watched a highly dodgy pirate copy of 'Burlesque' (not my choice of film..) and couldn't really join in the debate anyway. Not that I would if I was completely well.

No comments:

Post a Comment