Tuesday 25 January 2011

How it all began...end of November 2010

Woke up with a jolt...throbbing pains and thinking that dosing on some period pain pills from Wal-Mart as a preventative measure had failed again. 'Fuck..in for a long night' and dosed up again'. As always on my first day of my period (or sometimes), the pain ricocheted higher on the pain scale from 0 to 9. I wanted it to be 10 = unconsciousness.

Then, it happened. The thing that women dread. I felt a lump. Immediately I knew not to follow the usual plan...overdose on painkillers, go to work half asleep and get through the day. Get help now.
Apologetically texted a friend..I find phoning so obtrusive in the morning. Called in sick. Not much sympathy from male colleague and yes period pains on Monday sounds suspiciously like 'heavy weekend'.

My friend Zoe arrived. Together we went to the doctor's. I was kind of nervous about what would happen and how I would be treated. More to the point, would it just be dismissed as bad period pains and get over it.

Thankfully, the doctor took it seriously and so began a city tour of various places for tests. Taxis here, there and everywhere...downing a litre and half of water pre ultra sound with an impending explosion of pain and no painkillers in a traffic jam. Well..at least it's not boring.

I spent most of the ultrasound trying to look at the screen and search for my answers. Also, I was desperate for a piss. I kept on looking at the technicians and Zoe and got nothing. An abrupt stop and 'banos es ahi' and  proceeded to enjoy in the most enjoyable wee in a long while.

Back at the doctor's again...and he gave the diagnosis in the little cafe. We'll question the confidentiality another time. And yes..they found something. Wow! I'm happy. I'm secretly very anal. I like concrete solutions to problems and this news made my day.

Ovarian cysts and a rather ropey appendix. Got an operation scheduled for Thursday. Never had one before in 36 years where I've experienced a lot. Oh well...first time for everything and I do embrace new experiences

No comments:

Post a Comment